The first stage of creating a 3D image is to use a 3D design tool to build the item, character or object in question. Lets take the example of a Dark Young, these are the monstrous living-tree beasts who are the foul offspring of their mother-deity, Shub-Niggurath. Now their creators describes them as thus; “…it was the black thing of my dreams – that black ropy, slimy jelly tree-thing out of the woods.” (from Robert Bloch’s ‘Notebook Found in a Deserted House’)
Stuart starts by creating a really high resolution model for the Dark Young. With such tools (you can try the free and open source Blender if you want to try 3D creation yourself!) we create a 3-dimensional model of the object, like a virtual sculpture. In graphics terms, the more complex the model, the better it looks, but the more processing time it takes to display it and move it around on the screen. This is why a Pixar film will always look better than a PS3 game – because they are not generating the film in real time. They can take weeks if need be, to generate a few minutes of footage whereas a game is real-time.
Because the player can be anywhere in the level, the graphics have to be calculated on-the-fly continuously. That means in-game we’re always looking to keep the complexity of the model down while trying to keep it looking good. Here’s our high quality (or high poly, as in ‘polygon’, as we call it) version:
Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land Info Page…
Join us on Facebook…
Watch us on…
Follow us on Twitter…
- Because of non-Euclidean time, Cthulhu Thursday is a day late this week!... fb.me/21mOoILQJ 3 days ago
- RT @TomasRawlings: So much good in this sale! Check it out... twitter.com/AurochDigital/… 3 days ago
- Cthulhu Thursday Returns! #CthulhuThursday agreatbecoming.com/2017/07/13/cth… via @TomasRawlings (tweeted Friday thought! Doh!) 1 week ago
- fb.me/6hzbCg76n 1 week ago
- Cthulhu Thursday Returns! #CthulhuThursday... fb.me/2ghaP1Zf4 1 week ago
- When you're taking on gangcults, you need firepower! darkfuture.info/blog/20/10/2016 fb.me/36iir4SdV 2 weeks ago
- #thewastedland is the hashtag to use on Twitter for discussions of Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land. Thanks!
From the Hive Mind…
Wasp Tags…amazon android Apple AppUp art award birthday bundle call of cthulhu call of cthulhu. lovecraft chaosium character design competition cthulhu Cthulhu Christmas Calendar Cthulhumas cthulhu thursday developer diary development DLC dreamlands fear free funny game game design gameplay games games design gamezebo guardian help help guide horror horror games indie indiegala Intel interview introduction iOS iPad iphone Kaul Kauls Diary lee enfield lovecraft mobile games music mythos open game design PC press press release professor brightmeer review reviews rifle RPC RPC Germany RPG sale SAN sanity smart phone sound Steam technology the wasted land twitter video weapons world war one ww1 wwi